Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
    Hal Bichel Hal Bichel 
    Keymaster
    Registered On: Oct 17, 2014
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 2

When it was first announced that the Minneapolis Institute of Art was helping organize an exhibit around the work of the man who directed The Devil’s Backbone, Hellboy, Pan’s Labyrinth, and other beloved fantasy and horror films, the Internet exploded a bit. Now Guillermo del Toro: At Home with Monsters is finally here, and we’re giving you the chance for you and a friend to see it for free!

Taking inspiration from Guillermo del Toro’s extraordinary imagination, this unique exhibition reveals his creative process through a collection of paintings, drawings, maquettes, artifacts, and concept film art, all culled from Bleak House, his creative haven and cherished home base located in Los Angeles.

Rather than a traditional chronology or filmography, the exhibition is organized thematically, beginning with visions of death and the afterlife; continuing through explorations of magic, occultism, horror, and monsters; and concluding with representations of innocence and redemption.

Beginning with Cronos (1993) and continuing through The Devil’s Backbone (2001), Hellboy (2004), Pan’s Labyrinth (2006), Pacific Rim (2013), and Crimson Peak (2015), among many other film, television, and book projects, Guillermo del Toro has reinvented the genres of horror, fantasy, and science fiction. Working with a team of craftsmen, artists, and actors—and referencing a wide range of cinematic, pop-culture, and art-historical sources—del Toro recreates the lucid dreams he experienced as a child in Guadalajara, Mexico.

This exhibition was organized by the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Minneapolis Institute of Art, and Art Gallery of Ontario.

To enter, just leave a comment on this post by 7:00 p.m. Central on Wednesday, February 22, telling us your favorite character from any Guillermo del Toro movie and why. We’ll choose 1 random winner to receive 2 vouchers that can be exchanged for tickets for any available time slot during the exhibition’s run! Winners will be notified via the email address on their Twin Cities Geek account.

Not a member yet? Click Here to register for the Twin Cities Geek forums.

No purchase necessary. Open to residents of Minnesota 18 years or older. Vouchers are not valid for the opening-night party on March 4, 2017. Click here for full rules and conditions.

Guillermo del Toro: At Home with Monsters is at the Minneapolis Institute of Art March 5–May 28, 2017.

Awesome signature is awesome.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Hal Bichel Hal Bichel.
    • This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Hal Bichel Hal Bichel.
     jenferfer
    Registered On: Aug 27, 2016
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 2

Hellboy is my favorite (kitties!), but seeing Pan’s Labyrinth the first time was so moving.

Deathtrip
    Registered On: Feb 18, 2017
    Replies: 1

The Pale Man he is whimsical yet terrifying hard to beat him on the creepy factor alone.

radicorn

Ofelia, Pan’s Labyrinth

The movie itself is such a disturbing but beautiful space. Seeing it transformed through the eyes of a little girl experiencing the fantastical through trauma makes her my favorite Guillermo del Toro character.

Stardust

Edith Cushing, for her talent, curiosity, tenacity and taste in nightgowns.

Kaymingo

I enjoyed Hannibal from Pacific Rim. He is a relatively minor character but he showcases DelToro’s attention to world building.

SStomberg

Ofelia from Pan’s Labyrinth is my favorite of all Del Toro’s characters. I love how of all the soldiers, captains and monsters she is the most brave. I hope to share the movie with my daughter as soon as it wouldn’t scar her.

taocomics

Ofelia from Pan’s Labyrinth is my favorite Guillermo del Toro character. When viewing Pan’s Labyrinth from a reality based angle, Ofelia possesses a power that children often do that seems underrated and undervalued as we grow older: Imagination. This is the core of her being and her key to living the most manageable path she can under the given circumstances of her life.

Love1847
    Registered On: Feb 19, 2017

Mine is Dieter de la Guardia,the villian in Cronos

FoodDea

Brought Cronos to SCSU when I ran the student film program in ’95. I can’t wait to see the art that inspired the genius behind that and so many other great films.

BiffJensen

I am most fond of Carlos from The Devil’s Backbone. His sweetness and innocence not only keeps the other child characters afloat through such darkness and despair, he also helps the audience.

Dotz88

I think it would be Carmen in Devil’s Backbone. Another strong female character in his movies 🙂

kjanacek14
    Registered On: Feb 20, 2017

The Faun from Pan’s Labyrinth is my favorite character in any Del Toro film. The creatures are so fantastic! Dark and alluring!

eligcooper

My favorite character has always been Fauno from “Pan’s Labyrinth.” I find the design, voice and character ticks to be amazing!

Anna

Prince Nuada from Hellboy 2. I like it when antagonists aren’t just evil.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.