In her childhood, Amethyst O’Connell presumably did some things but doesn’t remember half of them due to a skiing accident in sixth grade. She did remember pi rounded to 10 digits and all of the existing 493 Pokémon, which lead her on her path to the nerd she is today. In high school, she joined the FireBears FIRST Robotics team, which went to the world championships her senior year of high school.
Her love of anime started in middle school after she attended a film class at the local library—the librarian who taught it was an avid otaku and ran the library’s anime club. From there, Amethyst joined the anime club and was introduced to great anime like Black Butler. The film class also led her to become involved at the local public-access TV station as a filmmaker.
In addition to writing for Twin Cities Geek, she is working through the challenges in Free Code Camp and completing her generals at a local community college. She hopes to transfer to a four-year institution for electrical engineering and to get an internship in her field of study.
Posts by Amethyst
- Foldscopes Give You the Power of Microscopes without Breaking the Bank Dec 13, 2017
- How to Enjoy FIRST Robotics from the Comfort of Your Home Oct 25, 2017
- Neil deGrasse Tyson’s Latest Book Makes Astrophysics Dead Simple Aug 4, 2017
- Minnesota Fans Party with Pusheen Jul 30, 2017
- 5 Kinds of People Who Don’t Get Vaccines But Aren’t Anti-Vaxxers May 5, 2017
- Weather Geeks Wanted for a Local Storm Spotting Initiative Apr 1, 2017
- Minnesota’s 2017 FIRST Robotics Season Begins Feb 17, 2017
- Free Code Camp Twin Cities Brings Local Geeks Together to Learn Jan 25, 2017