Bri Lopez Donovan was born and raised in Long Beach, California, until they moved with their family to a small, rural Minnesota town at the age of 11. There, they grew from a kid with a love for country music and all things western and into a political, queer adolescent. Being queer in a town with a population under 2,000, a high-school class of 98, and a community where parties took places at churches and VFW halls left Bri feeling kind of odd and alone. They began writing thoughts and ideas in the form of musings on their family’s large, clunky desktop computer; it was an outlet, but it wasn’t enough. Soon, despite the limited time they were given on the dial-up Internet, they took to the interwebs to find others like them and a sense of belonging. Bri has loved discussing politics and social justice on online forums ever since.
After moving to the Twin Cities, they met a wonderful lady (now wifey) who introduced Bri to conventions, cosplay, and the wonderful world of geekery. Their writing has since expanded into poetry, short stories, and novels (that have yet to be finished). They dabble in all things queer and sexy and seek to boost marginalized communities. Recent adventures in writing include intersectional-feminist erotica; their WordPress blog, Over Caffeinated; and YA horror.
When they aren’t working or writing, Bri enjoys trying new brews (they’re a bit of a beer snob), coffee, teatime, cooking, and exploring all over with their dog friend Gracie. Adventure Time and Futurama are Bri’s favorites, and as far as books go, they are not to be trusted with a library card.
Posts by Bri
- Byte Brings Geekery and Social Justice to Downtown Minneapolis Mar 1, 2017
- Día de los Muertos: It’s a Memorial, Not a Halloween Festival Oct 29, 2016
- Celebrate National Beer Lovers Day with These Literary Beer Pairings Sep 7, 2016
- A Twin Cities Geek Girl Goes to San Diego Comic-Con Aug 29, 2016
- Twin Cities Geeks Celebrate Comics at MSP ComiCon 2016 May 23, 2016
- Reproductive Justice Is a Geek Thing, Too Apr 25, 2016
- Grown Geeks: Geeks Who Kink Feb 14, 2016
- Grown Geeks: The Reality of Gay Geek Girls Jan 10, 2016
- Grown Geeks: Asexual in the City—A Look at Asexuality in the Geek Community Nov 3, 2015
- JOFCon 2015 Helps Build the Convention Community Oct 17, 2015
- Grown Geeks: Nonmonogamy and Polyamory in the Minnesota Geek Community Sep 29, 2015
- Drinking with Disney Aug 21, 2015
- From Diversity to Community in Geekdom and Convention Spaces Aug 1, 2015
- Loving the Notorious Bad Girls Jul 8, 2015