K. L. Tremaine is an author and fan who was born when Star Wars ruled the land. She collects role-playing games and LEGOs, and her favorite novel is Midnight Blue-Light Special by Seanan McGuire. A nearly native Minnesotan (in the same sense that Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington is Nearly Headless), she grew up during the age of Star Trek: The Next Generation and Mystery Science Theater 3000.
Drawing on her BA in English (creative writing) and her minor in women’s studies from Augsburg College, K. L. Tremaine combined her chosen vocation and passion for genre material into a summer research project on portrayals of transgender women in sci fi and fantasy. Her degree, she likes to say, gives her the perfect professional background to write extensively about imaginary worlds.
When not writing or attending classes toward her MFA, K. L. Tremaine can be seen skating for the Minnesota Rollergirls Debu-Taunts as Kate or Die and volunteering at the Hennepin County Library, where she is hopefully putting her roller-girl moves to good use. She lives with her partner in the Twin Cities area. She is the author of the self-published novella Independent Flight.
Articles by K. L. Tremaine
- The Rockits Take the Golden Skate in the Minnesota RollerGirls’ Season 15 Championships Apr 25, 2019
- So You Want to Try Out for Roller Derby Apr 16, 2019
- Minnesota RollerGirls’ Season 15 Semifinals Set the Stage for the Home-Team Championship Mar 26, 2019
- Rockits and Garda Belts Prevail in Minnesota RollerGirls’ Feel the Win in Your Hair Dec 15, 2018
- Minnesota RollerGirls Kick Off the Season with Planet of the Skates Oct 29, 2018
- Roller Derby and the Geek Connection Feb 28, 2016
- Rat Queens #3: Oh, Poop Apr 29, 2015
- Rat Queens Issue #2: Ahh… [expletive deleted] Buckets Feb 25, 2015
- Let the Bards Sing Her Accolades: A Review of Rat Queens Braga Special #1 Feb 5, 2015
- Rat Queens #1 Review: “Son.” “Of.” “A.” “Kitten.” Jan 21, 2015
- Oz and the Queer History of Fandom Jan 10, 2015