Lydia has always felt most at home in a library. She spent many hours during her childhood hiding in a corner of the Appleton public library, working her way steadily through the not unimpressive fantasy section. One of her favorite books growing up was Alanna: The First Adventure, which she read 11 times during a trip to Yellowstone because her grandparents would not allow her to bring any other book in the car. To this day, she still reads too many fantasy books (not all of which are quality).
Recently Lydia has tentatively been exploring the wide world of comic books, in part due to her deep love for the X-Men movies, which she first saw at Girl Scout camp during a rainy week in the North Woods. She showed these movies to her teenage cousins in what she hoped would be a similarly awe-inspiring moment, but they were deeply unimpressed and demanded to watch Doctor Who instead.
Lydia’s day job is in public health, which right now means sitting at a computer and messing around with lots and lots of charts. In a previous, more exciting life, she taught sex ed to high-school students and worked as part of an HIV street outreach team. She actually kind of misses that last job.
Posts by Lydia
- Minneapolis’s LGBT Redneck Amanda Costner Talks Surf Ninjas, Garth Brooks, and Redneck Repurposing Apr 19, 2017
- Can Can Wonderland Is the Twin Cities’ New Venue to Amaze and Inspire Mar 9, 2017
- Clockwerks, Minneapolis’s Steampunk Brewery, Opens for Business Dec 19, 2016
- Doing the Time Warp with Minneapolis’s Rocky Horror Picture Show Shadow Cast Oct 20, 2016
- Trex Tuesdays Turn Out for a Prehistoric Party Jun 10, 2016
- Gadfly Theatre’s Cassandra Snow Talks Geeky Queer Feminism and the Final Frontier Festival Apr 30, 2016
- Steamship Coffee Sails Into Lyn-Lake Apr 26, 2016
- Twin Cities T-Rexes Take Over Tuesdays Jan 31, 2016
- The Last-Minute Guide to 2015 Twin Cities Holiday Craft Markets Dec 12, 2015