Matilda “Matty” Ruth has always turned to gaming, whether she is fighting boredom, seeking adventure, escaping real-life drama, or simply bonding with friends. From Atari to tabletop RPGs and everything in between, she has developed a passion for learning new games.
Growing up in a small desert city in southern California, Matty discovered her love of gaming early on with an introduction to The Organ Trail in elementary school. Soon after, her obsession with The Hobbit via the family’s Commodore 64 developed. As her passion for video games grew, so did her voracity for learning tabletop games. When her parents moved the family from their small, boring California city to an even smaller town in northern North Dakota, she discovered the world of RPGs. She would often play Dungeons and Dragons with her younger brother and his friends until being kicked out for “not following the rules.”
These days, Matty lives with her two children, four cats, and two dogs in the Twin Cities. She follows her own gaming rules and has now added comic books and fangirling to her list of obsessions. Free time, family time, and friend time are often filled with cards, tabletops, RPGs, sporting events, comic-book discussions and collecting, cosplay, community theater, farming, and binge-watching Supernatural and Doctor Who.
Matty’s favorite YouTube channels are Comicstorian and Wil Wheaton’s Tabletop via Geek and Sundry. Her favorite audiobook is Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, narrated by Wil Wheaton. Her writing experience comes from prior military training as a public affairs photojournalist in both the Army National Guard and Air Force Reserves.
Posts by Matilda
- It’s War, Love, and Ninjas in Qui Nguyen’s Vietgone Apr 25, 2017
- Animal Engine Will Pull Your Heartstrings with Darlings, the Story of Peter Pan from a New Perspective Mar 31, 2017
- Animal Engine Theatre Company Turns Classic Literature on Its Head Mar 28, 2017
- Minnesota Tonight Brings You the Local News . . . Hilariously Mar 21, 2017
- Save Baby Toby from Becoming a Goblin in Labyrinth: The Board Game Dec 16, 2016
- In Woodbury, Seussical the Musical Is Fun, and Fun Is Good Dec 7, 2016
- Vilification Tennis Takes on the War on Christmas Dec 5, 2016
- No Critical Failures in She Kills Monsters Oct 10, 2016
- Get Your Star Wars Parody Fix with May the Musical Be with You Oct 4, 2016
- Minnesota Whovians Don’t Want to Miss CONsole Room Jun 1, 2016
- Build Your Own Inferno Is Devilishly Entertaining May 17, 2016
- Assume the Board! The Human Combat Chess All-Star Game May 5, 2016
- The Marvel Universe Comes Alive at the Target Center Apr 10, 2016
- Leprechaun Assassin: Following the Clues in Codenames Mar 29, 2016
- Your Big, Bad Recap of the 2016 In-Store Convention Kick-Off Mar 11, 2016
- LARPing with the Kids: An Interview with Interphaze’s Ben Millard Mar 3, 2016
- It’s Dangerous to Go Alone: This Is Geek’s Shanna Hartzell Talks Speed Gaming Feb 11, 2016
- Science Fiction Double Feature: A Smash Up Review Jan 29, 2016
- LARP Talk: Heather Silsbee and the Golden Cobra Challenge Dec 28, 2015