As for most geeks and nerds, Ryan VanAlstine’s lifelong love affair with video games began at a very early age. Despite access to Nintendo systems of all kinds, both regular and Super, Ryan didn’t fully embrace his geek destiny until his teenage years. Long after all his school friends had given up on Pokémon card collecting and princess saving, he knew his time was always better spent with a controller in hand.
Now an “adult,” Ryan still fills as much of his free time as possible with all manner of digital adventures. Whether it be revisiting classics from his past like Final Fantasy VII and Ocarina of Time or enjoying the 4K gaming splendor of current games like Persona 5 and Bloodborne, a day spent playing games is never wasted time.
Video games are not the only geek pastime Ryan indulges in, of course. Movies, TV, music, comics, and professional wrestling all have special sections in the library of his heart, from rewatching Your Name for the 100th time and promising himself this time he won’t cry or marking out over the surprise return at the most recent Royal Rumble match.
Ryan married his wife, a talented artist and writer as well as his nerdy equal, in January 2017. Their lengthy Diablo III gaming sessions and obsession over Stardew Valley prove that being married doesn’t mean the gaming needs to stop—it just means you have to share the controller every so often.
Articles by Ryan
- My Time at Portia Offers an Indie Option for Fans of Stardew Valley and Animal Crossing Jun 21, 2019
- Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Is FromSoftware’s Most Challenging, and Linear, Game to Date May 4, 2019
- Video Games Come to the Science Museum of Minnesota in the Game Changers Exhibit Mar 15, 2019
- With Resident Evil 2, Capcom Once Again Proves Its Mastery of Video-Game Remakes Feb 5, 2019
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Gives Fans Everything They Could Ask for and More Jan 5, 2019
- Pokémon: Let’s Go! Delivers a Wonderful Update That Effectively Combines Old and New Dec 7, 2018
- For Better or Worse, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey Is More of What We’ve Seen Before Nov 3, 2018
- The New Spider-Man Game Is a Great New York City Simulator that Also Lets You Beat Up Bad Guys Oct 3, 2018
- The Cramped, Chaotic Kitchen of Overcooked! 2 Delivers Delicious Cooperative Fun Aug 30, 2018
- Despite Its Flaws, Detroit: Become Human Delivers a Memorable Gaming Experience Aug 8, 2018
- Dark Souls Remastered Is No Game Changer, but It’s a Great Reason to Revisit a Modern Classic Jul 11, 2018
- Remember Kratos? He’s Back, in Dad Form May 23, 2018
- Stardew Valley’s “Just One More Day” Mentality Keeps You Playing for Hours May 2, 2018
- Far Cry 5 Is a Tasty Dish Best Enjoyed with Friends Apr 18, 2018